Author Topic: Personal shots  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Robert Baldo

Personal shots
« on: November 25, 2007, 03:13:53 AM »
This was me in 1974 still recovering from 3rd degress burns on my nose from the sun and a little solar radiation poisoning.

Offline Haydn Hughes

• Anything USAF
  • SIG leader
    • IPMS UK USAF SIG
Re: Personal shots
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 12:51:38 PM »
What's the weapon ?

Offline Chris St Clair

• USAF SIG Administrator and Global Moderator
  • Administrator
    • USAF SIG
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
Uzi
Chris St.Clair
IPMS UK USAF SIG Admin/Moderator

Offline Robert Baldo

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 12:17:08 AM »
It's a UZI I borrowed from a Thai A.F. cop that was on my post with me.  We had a deal, I took the picture of him with my M-16 and he took this one.  I'm also carrying a Smith&Wesson .38 cal pistol. I had the Thai Police Shift Commander deliver the picture.  I figured it would be easier for him to find the guy.

Offline Robert Baldo

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:40:42 PM »
A couple friends of mine at Korat A.B.:

Here's a temporary squadron commander we had at Littlerock.  We got him from one of the C-130 squadrons while he was medically grounded for a while.

A couple cops from Dover AFB.

Here I am at Camp Friendship, a army base that was connected to Korat.

Us posing for a couple photos in front of the elementary school for the base paper at Littlerock.

Winter arrives at Littlerock.

Offline Robert Baldo

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:22:29 AM »
It's scary now to see the kind of people I worked with.

Sort of reminds me of Jack Elam.

Offline Steve Jungwirth

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 05:28:29 AM »
RE: Squadron Commanders
Your photo reminded me of my Security Police CO at Pease AFB in 1974.  Had been a pilot (FAC, I think) who came in saying that the next month he spent in SEA would be his 49th.  It was obvious even to me, a lowly 2 striper, that he was just being put someplace so he could finish out his time and retire.  I noted that the current commander of Security Forces is a female.  I do hope it is not considered a career field that is professional suicide.  Looked over a couple of blogs and looks like the force is really being stretched.  My cousin's son, explosive detection dog handler, is deployed right now.  Spent time being loaned to the Army in Afganistan and apparently is in Iraq now-all on a single deployment!

Offline Robert Baldo

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 01:40:05 AM »
This is me in 1971/72 at the East Gate at U-Tapao.  At the time I was 20 and the weapon was what the Air Force called a G.A.U.  It was a cut down M-16 with an extendable stock, longer flash suppressor, and occasionally a M-148 40mm grenade launcher.  The Army called them a CAR-15 and we mounted the sling on the front sight and the top of the rear stock.  This let us carry it out of the way but still bring it up like a large pistol if necessary.

Offline Robert Baldo

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:49:29 AM »

Me at the local police range near the end of my tour.  I was hitting 20 out of 20 on a soda can the range instructor tossed out after I made a comment about being able to hit dirt at 25 yards.

Not long after that I was selected to deploy for what I'm sure was the Mayaguez operation.  As it turned out I was almost completely signed out from the squadrona nd base in reperation to return to the States.

In an attempt to set up a traffic speed control point using mirror boxes and a stop watch (it really does work), we had a slight inconvience when a vehicle drove too close to one of the boxes and it's draft pulled it down. 

End result:  two vehicles clocked, one box damaged severly, two cops chewed out, a decent photo, and a work request for Civil Engineering to increase the width of the pavement alongside the road.

joe41r

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:37:02 AM »
Hey Robert.  We got those Smith & Wesson .38 cal Combat Masterpiece in about '63.  Sweet weapon.  Prior to that we had Colt Police Specials.  Piece of junk in my opinion, mostly because I couldn't hit DELETED with it. The S&W fit me really well and I could shoot that baby.  Joe

Offline Robert Baldo

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 03:58:11 AM »
I bought one after I got out and still have it.  It's a great weapon and naturally not being made anymore.  As far as I know, the model 10 is offered, not the 15.  I have started teaching a few people at work to shoot and they prefer my Smith over an automatic that I just sold.

I prefer a revolver over a auto in most cases, it's simpler to use and won't jam. 

I carried my model 15 inthe A.F. for 10 years, sometime supplimenting it with a shotgun or M-16 and only replacing it for an M-16 or a GAU with a M-147 grenade launcher.  I'd never get rid of my Model 15.

Offline Robert Baldo

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 03:42:11 AM »
Replacement shots:

Some cops from Dover A.F.B.

at Camp Friendship:

Posing for the Littlerock base paper:

winter and the YC-15:

Offline Robert Baldo

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 03:47:07 AM »
U-tapao east gate 1971/72: