Author Topic: Bentwaters Cold War Museum  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Haydn Hughes

• Anything USAF
  • SIG leader
    • IPMS UK USAF SIG
Bentwaters Cold War Museum
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »

I am definitely going to visit this year and their special open day on June 16th sounds like the best day to go !

More info here...

http://www.bcwm.org.uk/?page_id=12

Visitor Info
The museum is open on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month as well as Bank Holiday Mondays, from April 2013, group visits are possible by arrangement at other times. 2012 saw some new facilities added to the museum, with a larger shop display area and the opening of our snack bar, serving a selection of hot & cold drinks and cold snacks.

2013 opening dates:

March: 31st

April:1st, 7th, 21st

May: 5th, 6th, 19th, 26th, 27th

June: 2nd, 16th (2013 Open Day)

July: 7th, 21st

August: 4th, 18th, 25th 26th

September: 1st, 15th

October: 6th, 20th

Opening times -  10.00 ? 16.00

Admission Prices

Adult - ?5.00

Child (14 & under) - Free

Concessions - ?4.00

Offline Haydn Hughes

• Anything USAF
  • SIG leader
    • IPMS UK USAF SIG
Re: Bentwaters Cold War Museum
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
Heads up folks ! We will be putting on a small display display at this event ! Woo hoo !!  :D

Offline Haydn Hughes

• Anything USAF
  • SIG leader
    • IPMS UK USAF SIG
Re: Bentwaters Cold War Museum
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 06:26:36 PM »
Folks you've got to visit this place !

First ever mission for the SIGs TAB-VEE Gazebo (far end of the line below) where myself and Chris supported by Belinda and Jacqui were joined by Graham from IPMS Ipswich (Ian Balch was kept busy patrolling the show).

Their special open day was a fantastic event with the highlight for me being the 'guided' bus tour around the airfield including driving into the hush-house and through the Special Weapons Storage area. The guide had previously served at Bentwaters and was both informative and entertaining.

The museum itself, which is open on a regular basis during the summer, is well worth a visit. Located in the hardened command post there is a vast array of memorabilia and photographs and a fantastic display of models.