Author Topic: F-15C in Visual Signature Reduction camouflage scheme.  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Keith "Sven" Svendsen

F-15C in Visual Signature Reduction camouflage scheme.
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
This is Hasegawa'a F-15C in 1/72 scale. Camo and markings are for a jet used in an evaluation of candidate F-15E schemes conducted in July 1986. The aircraft wore this scheme until at least February 1987. Decals are from the Afterburner F-15 Aggressors sheet with homemade 57FWW and TAC badges.

I chose to leave all of the horizontal lower surfaces in the light grey. A camouflage diagram for this scheme (very worn and faded) looks like the "sand grey" should wrap around the fuselage and one horizontal tail. However, one of the project pilots and I were assigned to the same test squadron at Edwards in the early 1990s, and he swore that this aircraft was only painted light grey on the bottom. Photographic evidence shows the sand grey on the fuselage sides, so I only brought that colour down to the fuselage lower corners. There are other variations between the photos and the old diagram, most noticeably that the color demarkations are very straight on the diagram, almost a splinter or "Ferris" scheme, but photos of the upper surface show otherwise.

Hope you like it,
Sven
Sven
Old Viper Tester

Offline Chris St Clair

• USAF SIG Administrator and Global Moderator
  • Administrator
    • USAF SIG
Re: F-15C in Visual Signature Reduction camouflage scheme.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »
VERY nice!  What references did you use - I fancy having a go at this!!

Chris
Chris St.Clair
IPMS UK USAF SIG Admin/Moderator

Offline Haydn Hughes

• Anything USAF
  • SIG leader
    • IPMS UK USAF SIG
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:49:23 PM »
Very nice indeed Sven - thanks for posting !

Cheers,

Haydn.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:52:42 PM »
VERY nice!  What references did you use - I fancy having a go at this!!

Chris

Pieces coming together.  In 1990 to 1992, I was assigned to the 6516th Test Squadron as chief engineer, my operations counterpart had previously served at Nellis, as had I. In discussing our previous projects, he told me about the F-15E camouflage evaluation for which he had been a project pilot.  Did he have picture? No. But he described the schemes as best he could, but not enough info do an accurate model.

Fast forward ten years. Moved across the country, retired out of the USAF. In cleaning out my offices for a relocation, I found some camouflage diagrams. These were in a very sad condition: torn, faded, discolored. Then a few years ago, a friend at Nellis sent me the images below. The diagrams and the photos don't match exactly, but the timing is right. The diagrams were dated late 1985/early 1986 and this camouflage evaluation took place in July 1986.

The three sources were close enough to have a go at it.  I'll follow up with my recreation of the diagrams.

Sven
Sven
Old Viper Tester

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »
Here are my renditions. One version of the original Visual Signature Reduction Scheme diagrams had very straight lines of color demarcation reminiscent of Heatley-Ferris schemes applies to F-16XL-2 and the F-4S at VF-103. While the vertical tails of the VSR aircraft look the part of a Ferris scheme, what you can make out of the upper surfaces in the photo clearly shows a disruptive pattern.

Note that I missed filling in a couple of the lower panels on the Nightfighter scheme diagram. I'll have to go back and fix that.

Sven
Sven
Old Viper Tester

Offline Chris St Clair

• USAF SIG Administrator and Global Moderator
  • Administrator
    • USAF SIG
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »
Sven - many thanks!! I can see some more F-15s being built at some point, assuming tha they're not already on Haydn's list!!

Chris
Chris St.Clair
IPMS UK USAF SIG Admin/Moderator

Offline Haydn Hughes

• Anything USAF
  • SIG leader
    • IPMS UK USAF SIG
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
Sven - many thanks!! I can see some more F-15s being built at some point, assuming tha they're not already on Haydn's list!!

Chris

- I've already done the easy one ! ;)

Haydn.